Posted on: 11 October 2016
Locksmiths around the country will tell you that the holidays are a contentious time for those concerned about their home and property. You may look forward to spending time with loved ones, but you do not want to leave your home alone and unsecured. These tips will help you feel safe this holiday season.
1. Take away the opportunity. Look for packages from locksmiths offering home monitoring systems in addition to timers, lights, and other items that will protect your home from theft. You may be able to control these while you are away to give your home the appearance that somebody is living in it.
2. Consider having a home safety audit. Many locksmiths offer the opportunity to come in and test out the parts of your house that a burglar may find appealing.
3. Avoid sharing news about upcoming trips on social media. This is mostly a necessity if your house will be empty when you leave, creating a place for intruders to set up shop.
4. Hire a housesitter. A housesitter will make wannabe intruders feel uncomfortable barging in.
5. Buy new window locks. Windows are a common entry point for intruders. Adequate locks, which can be installed by a locksmith, will keep them securely closed for the duration of your time away.
6. Don't forget about the car. If you will be leaving your car behind while you travel, don't forget to lock it up. You may want to invest in a couple security cameras to watch over it as well. Some people like to park outside, even if they have a garage, to suggest that somebody may be at home.
7. Consider a keypad. Could it be that keys are becoming a thing of the past? There is no need to worry about leaving a spare key around outside when you have a door that only opens with a code.
8. Don't forget the mailbox. Some mailboxes can use keys that will deter potential identity thieves from breaking into your personal letters. Of course, make sure that it is legal for you to put a lock on your box before you actually do it. Some areas may have different laws, but a locksmith will be able to help you.
Locksmiths are there to help you. If you have questions about locks and protecting your house as the winter holidays approach, it is important that you talk to a locksmith. For more information, visit a site like http://arapahoesecurity.com.Share